CHAMPS Chamber Helping Achieve Meaningful Partnerships in Schools
Our mission is to foster a strong, supportive relationship between Chesterfield County Chamber member businesses and our Chesterfield County public education system. We seek active engagement from Chamber businesses and promote
quality opportunities that provide ongoing support to public education in Chesterfield
For more information, please email the CHAMPS chairperson.
Champions Program | Register to Volunteer
Mentorship program that cultivates and supports workforce development
2020 CHAMPS Virtual Offering
The Meadowbrook Academy of Developing Entrepreneurs is a specialty center that gives students in Chesterfield County access to a robust business curriculum that allows them the opportunity to generate ideas, develop a business model, design prototypes using a variety of equipment, acquire financing, and open their business while still in high school! We are looking for business professionals to teach industry workshops that give our aspiring entrepreneurs an immersive learning opportunity and an insider look at current industry standards.
ACCOUNTING: Accounting students study the basic principles, concepts, and practices of the accounting cycle for a service business and a merchandising business. Topics covered include analyzing transactions, journalizing and posting entries, preparing payroll records and financial statements, and managing cash control systems. Business ethics and professional conduct are emphasized. Students learn fundamental accounting procedures.
- e-Commerce site development and the most secure, online payment platforms (i.e., Square, PayPal, CashApp, etc.)
- Understanding how business tax laws affect the bottom line
- Finding the right investors - what to communicate to potential investors
- New financial technologies for small business
- New to accounting for small business (ie: I can't afford an accountant yet)
MARKETING: Students examine activities in marketing and business important for success in marketing employment and postsecondary education. Students will learn how products are developed, branded, and sold to businesses and consumers. Students will analyze industry trends and gain hands-on experience in the marketing of goods, services, and ideas. Topics will include professionalism in the workplace, product planning and positioning, promotion, pricing, selling, economic issues, and the impact of technology on the marketplace. Computer/technology applications and DECA activities enhance the course. DECA, the co-curricular student organization, offers opportunities in leadership, community, and competitive events.
- Metrics for measuring business demand
- Metrics and applications for measuring marketing campaigns
- Establishing a loyal customer base
- How to build and maintain customer engagement on social media
- How to create a one month social media promotional plan
ENTREPRENEURSHIP - This course introduces students to the exciting world of creating, owning, and launching their own business. Students will learn concepts and techniques for planning an entrepreneurial venture, using design thinking and business model development. Students will learn about financial statements, marketing principles, sales and customer service, and basic economic principles for successful operation.
ADVANCED ENTREPRENEURSHIP - The focus of the course is on the development of a business plan and small business management. Students will establish, market, and maintain a business.
- Developing your big idea - filter ideas, differentiate yourself from competitors, when to patent ideas
- Prototyping - how to get started, types of equipment (perhaps show use of 3D printer or other equipment), using customer feedback
- Entrepreneurial Mindset - train your brain, overcoming obstacles, set goals, aim high
- Pricing - perceived value, distribution plans, discount strategies
- Developing the perfect elevator pitch
- Don't manage, lead - effective leadership skills, inspiring employees, ethics
- Slogans and logos - communicating to customers, brand recognition
- Art of Negotiation
- Importance of Risk Taking
- Creating a brand and staying relevant
• 10 Workforce Development Sessions
• Utilizing JA Career Success Curriculum
• Chamber business members facilitate
• Implemented in several CCPS high schools
• Students receive a certificate of completion
Session 1: Critical Thinking & Creativity
Session 6: Mock Interviews
Session 2: Communication & Conflict Resolution
Session 7: Know your Work Priorities
Session 3: Collaboration & Teamwork
Session 8: High Growth Jobs & Requirements
Session 4: Develop Resume/Complete Application
Session 9: Personal Branding
Session 5: Soft Skills & Interview Prep
Session 10: Feedback & Certificate Presentation
All-Star Program | Nominate Someone Today!
Recognition of partnerships between Chesterfield Chamber businesses and
• Quarterly MVP (Most Valuable Partner) chosen and recognized at the