News Release: 1/16/2020 School Board elects leaders and sets 2020 meeting dates
Dale District representative Debbie Bailey was elected chair of the Chesterfield County School Board this week during the board’s annual reorganization meeting. Dorothy Heffron, who represents the Clover Hill District, was selected vice chair for 2020.
In addition, the School Board approved its 2020 schedule during the first meeting of the all-new, five-member board. The other new School Board members are Ann Coker (Bermuda District), Ryan Harter (Matoaca District) and Kathryn Haines (Midlothian District).
“A locality’s ability to be successful is only as good as its ability to educate and provide a safe community in which to live,” Bailey said after being selected chair. “Our job the next four years is to make our school division even better and provide students, staff and families access to resources needed to become even more successful.”
During last night’s meeting, Bailey acknowledged the School Board will jump right into its work with discussions later this month about a proposed Fiscal Year 2021 operating budget and a capital improvements plan to support building needs during the next five years.
“It’s important that we work strategically and carefully to build consensus – not just among this board, but also within the community – that an investment in public education is a strong, solid investment in our future,” Bailey said.
The approved 2020 School Board meeting dates are:
The adopted calendar is available online at bit.ly/2020SchoolBoardMeetings.
- The School Board will hold a work session at 4 p.m. and a business meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 11, March 10, April 14, May 12, June 9, Sept. 14 (this is a Monday), Oct. 13, Nov. 10 and Dec. 8. A business meeting will be held Aug. 11.
- Work sessions are held in Room 502 at the County Administration Building (9901 Lori Road), while business meetings are held in the Public Meeting Room (10001 Iron Bridge Road).
- The School Board will hold a budget work session at 4 p.m. on these dates: Jan. 21 (CTC@Hull auditorium), Jan. 28 (Central Office Board Room), Feb. 4 (Central Office Board Room), and Feb. 11 (Central Office Board Room)
- The School Board will hold a special board meeting to vote on the budget at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 25 in the Public Meeting Room.
- The School Board will hold its annual retreat on Aug. 11 prior to its regularly scheduled business meeting.
The School Board encourages public participation at meetings. Details regarding the policy for specific procedures by which the public may speak before the School Board are available online at https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/chesterfield/Board.nsf/Public.